The Mars cluster was commissioned in the summer of 2004 to support applied computational scientists across Imperial College.
Mars is a 408 processor Opteron based beowulf cluster, consisting of:
- 72 dual 1.8GHz Opteron processors, 2Gb memory, 80Gb S-ATA disk, Infiniband
- 40 dual 1.8GHz Opteron processors, 4Gb memory, 80Gb S-ATA disk, Gigabit Ethernet
- 88 dual 1.8GHz Opteron processors, 2Gb memory, 80Gb S-STA disk, Gigabit Ethernet
- 4 dual 2.2GHz Opteron processors, 4Gb memory, 36Gb SCSI disk, Gigabit Ethernet
- 1 Mellanox MTS9600 Infiniband switch configured with 72 ports
- 5 Extreme Networks Summit 400-48t 48 port Gigabit Switches
The cluster uses Redhat Enterprise Edition Linux distribution and the nodes are accessed through Sun Grid Engine.